Amid the flurry of the holidays, work deadlines, sick season, and all the other ever-running to-do list items keeping us hyper productive day in and day out, not to mention the constant tech saturation, and pressures on small and large scales, it’s no wonder stress is written all over our faces (and bodies). We know no matter what lovely skin interventions we may do, bottled up stress and poor self care have a way of running the show.
It’s high time we brought back this age old care tradition - the magical, the elusive, the beloved - bath! Now we’ve seen all sorts of rituals and recommendations about what’s ideal for bath time for mind and body, so let’s go through some of our favorite best practices and guilty pleasures to avoid.
Make it authentic self care time:
Setting the scene for the perfect unwinding soak
- Keep it a no electronics zone aside from low music
- Light a candle or two, or incense if you prefer, along with desired soft lighting
- If possible, keep plants that enjoy humidity in your bathroom for an enriched, oxygenated ritual
- If you’re feeling fancy, sprinkle flower petals or citrus into your bath
- Keep water temperature comfortable as excessive heat can dehydrate skin and worsen skin conditions. Our ideal temperature falls around 110F. Keep bath duration to approximately 20-30 minutes. Those with skin or health conditions should consult with a health professional for personalized advice about water temperature and bath duration.
- Keep distractions to a minimum and make this about reconnecting with yourself
- We like to pamper our lips with Ellovi lip butter for a light essential oil scent to highlight grounded breathing
- Avoid alcoholic beverages or coffee that dehydrate the body. Keep yourself comfortably hydrated with room temperature water at your side
- The appeal for bubbles is a strong one, but the foaming quality of soaps and bath bombs usually points to chemical additives, parfums, and harmful ingredients that can damage skin and the environment
What’s in that bath water? Magnesium magic
- Magnesium has been shown to regulate sleep via neurotransmitters in the brain, potentially playing a role in anxiety management as well. The key mineral contains anti-inflammatory properties that can soften skin, aid muscle relaxation, and pain relief for soreness or arthritis.
- Combining the effects of responsibly sourced magnesium flakes with the benefits of hot water immersion stimulates blood circulation and may have a positive effect on blood flow and blood pressure if done regularly.
- Rough period cramps? The relaxation ritual can help with pain as well as the mental strain connected to that time of the month.
- Small studies have found that regular hot baths had a beneficial impact on managing blood sugar levels for those who struggle with diabetes.
- Hot magnesium baths open pores to allow hydration and cleansing, bring blood flow to the skin to help repair and protect it from environmental and internal pathogens, and soothe certain skin conditions by reducing inflammation
- Magnesium flakes vs Epsom Salt. Magnesium Chloride in flakes is more bioavailable or quickly absorbent and contains a higher concentration of the mineral than Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salt), however either will do in a pinch.
Cherries on top
- Got time? Add a dry body brush to your routine before bathing to stimulate circulation and start the process of opening up pores. Dry brushing from the bottom of the body upwards provides lymphatic drainage stimulation, which can aid in eliminating toxin buildup in the body. (More on this another time)
- Last but not least keep the mood going with a loving application of your favorite Ellovi body butter while your skin is still damp to seal in the benefits for a lasting hydration and calm
Staying attuned to our inner world is more of a challenge than ever in this fast-paced world, so sometimes a nudge from your friends in skin care to point you back to self care is just what’s needed. Refill the tank with rest and rejuvenation to bring the world your best and hand down great habits to loved ones. That’s the Ellovi way.
At Ellovi we believe skin health is deeply connected to overall health and well-being. Our mission is to offer wellness using pure ingredients with safe and transparent methods. Self care is not just a luxury and it cannot wait. We’re here to remind you to invest in your health from head to toe, inside and out.
Team Ellovi 🌺