We put our faces through quite the gauntlet on a daily basis with irritants, pathogens, bacteria, oil, harsh products, chemicals, and more, no matter the weather. This holiday season whether you’re getting your cheeks pinched by relatives, kissed by pets, or facing the elements outdoors, face care will be a must.
We’ve put together a few healthy reminders, and, perhaps things you never knew about best practices to treat your face with gentleness without lining your cabinets with products.
Common face care mistakes
-Over washing and over exfoliating
- Strips skin of oils leading to dryness, itching, irritation, and inflammation
- One word. Bacteria.
- Hot water dries skin
- Cold water prevents cleansing of pores
- Roughly drying or washing skin can dry it out and cause irritation. It also removes essential protection from lipids, proteins and fatty acids which guard against pathogens
-Skipping the moisturizer after cleansing
-Using makeup wipes
- These tend to spread residue more than clean it, so best to either avoid using them or follow them with a face wash
- Blocked pores lock in chemicals and oils which can cause breakouts, irritation, inflammation, and pause regeneration of healthy skin cells
Best practice face care routine
- Wash hands
- Wet face with lukewarm water and apply a gentle cleanser that doesn’t contain alcohol. You can use a small amount of Ellovi Body Butter if you have dry/sensitive skin. ✨If using Ellovi, steam face with a hot water soaked towel prior to cleansing and then repeat the process a second time for optimal cleansing and moisturizing.
- Pat dry face with clean, soft towel
- Apply moisturizer on damp face within a minute of washing to lock in hydration
Everyone loves a DIY mask/cleanser
Our unbiased favorite is Ellovi body butter
- Any flavor that doesn’t contain marula oil can be used on the entire face. If using marula oil, avoid the eye area
- Ingredients in our products act as natural and gentle cleansers and are especially beneficial for dry or sensitive skin
Got some extra ingredients lying around? Zero waste is the way to go
- Blend yogurt that contains probiotics with cucumber or strawberries, depending on the flavor you’re in the mood for, and add lemon juice
- Apply mixture to your face for 15 minutes and then rinse
- Lemon helps fight bacteria and removes dead skin cells and oils that can clog pores, preventing breakouts
- Probiotics in yogurt help to restore the natural balance of bacteria on skin and prevent growth of harmful bacteria. Yogurt is also soothing and cooling.
- Cucumbers and strawberries hydrate and promote skin brightness among other benefits.
Routines of self care have been known to contribute to groundedness, and overall wellness, no matter how seemingly small. Refocusing on you during a busy season often crowded with hectic schedules and pressures is the gift you give yourself. Even if it’s just a few minutes, TLC is time well spent. Light a candle and spring open your Ellovi tool kit for informed, responsible skin care.
At Ellovi we believe skin health is deeply connected to overall health and well-being. Our mission is to offer wellness using pure ingredients with safe and transparent methods. Self care is not just a luxury and it cannot wait. We’re here to remind you to invest in your health from head to toe, inside and out.
Team Ellovi 🌺