Growing interest in wellness has turned essential oils into a booming industry, which means oils are more accessible, but also often not authentically made or marketed by some suppliers. Consistent with the goal to keep skin health care simple, transparent, and beneficial, we’re wading through the barrage of information (and misinformation) out there to hone in on what you need to know.
What are essential oils?
Essential oils are concentrated plant extracts that contain beneficial properties and unique aromatic flavors. The extracts are created through either steam/water distillation or cold pressing.
Benefits of essential oils:
- Applying oils correctly to the skin allows for some of the plant’s beneficial properties to absorb
- Inhaling aromas can stimulate and affect emotional regulation as well as physical functions such as breathing, blood pressure, and heart rate.
Some of our favorites:
- Chamomile: mood regulation, relaxation, anti-inflammatory
- Ylang-Ylang: headaches, nausea, skin issues, heart rate/blood pressure
- Jasmine: mood regulation, libido
- Peppermint: digestive aid, energy boost, sunburns, headaches
- Rose: mood and regulation
- Lavender: improving sleep, relaxation, anti inflammatory, hydrating, sensitive skin
- Bergamot: anti-inflammatory, blood pressure, anxiety
- Frankincense: anti-aging, sensitive skin, anti-inflammatory (joints)
What to keep in mind:
Concerns about some essential oil use have stemmed from its incorrect application and source issues.
- It’s not recommended to apply undiluted essential oil directly on the skin
- Essential oils should be combined with a carrier oil such as jojoba, shea, or coconut oil
- It’s important to understand the source of your oils. Oils should not be listed as “fragrance” or “essence of” and should be in dark glass amber bottles, not plastic. Labels should mention the latin name of the plant and not just the common. We’re happy to say these are the standards we uphold at Ellovi.
The wrap up:
Essential oil therapies have long been praised for their mood balancing, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and skin care benefits. These natural tools guide us back toward awareness and mindfulness as part of vital self care. The simple act of putting forth effort to take care of ourselves away from chemical, side effect ridden “treatments” and substances is a personal and collective win in the battle that exists in the skin care industry and health as a whole.
At Ellovi we believe skin health is deeply connected to overall health and well-being. Our mission is to offer wellness using pure ingredients with safe and transparent methods. Self care is not just a luxury and it cannot wait. We’re here to remind you to invest in your health from head to toe, inside and out.
Team Ellovi 🌺